Friday, December 16, 2016

Book Report

"It's been a couple of months, now.” Todd took a sip of coffee.
Amanda nodded. “I know. I'm more than halfway through. I wasn't expecting the book to be that long. I may have to break it down into parts. Maybe do a trilogy.”

Todd leaned back into his chair. “Yeah, that seems to be the going thing these days. Or maybe you can make an ongoing series.”

“Well, I don't know if I have that much material,” Amanda said then sighed. “Who knows.”

Todd noticed Amanda fiddling with her necklace. She seemed a bit distracted.

“Well, I have been thinking...” Amanda paused. She seemed hesitant to say anything. She wasn't sure how Todd would react to this idea.

“Go on,” Todd said.

Amanda sighed. “I want to go to where I was found.”

Todd leaned forward and opened his mouth as to speak, but Amanda quickly continued before he could say anything. “I know it seems out of the blue, but recently I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and it may help jog my memory a bit.”

Todd leaned forward and held up his hand as if to stop her then said, “Of course it's a good idea.” Then as if he read her mind about what the question is about, “I wish I could go with you, but I just started this job, and...”

“No, that's okay,” Amanda said, “I figured that you wouldn't be able to go, so I invited Trisha.”

Todd seemed a little surprised. He settled back into his seat and took another sip of his coffee. “So you two are getting along, eh?"

“Yeah, I know,” Amanda chuckled, “We are like night and day, but we've been getting along pretty well.”

“Oh, good,” Todd said, “I mean, it's good to see that you are coming out of your shell a little.”

There was a moment of silence. Amanda fiddled with her necklace, as she had been during every pause in the conversation. Todd took notice.

“Is there something on your mind?” Todd asked finally. “Your attention seems divided.”

Amanda stopped fiddling with her necklace. She figured that Todd probably wouldn't understand. She didn't understand it herself.

“Well,” Amanda said, deciding on giving it a shot, “I had another dream with the necklace in it.”

Todd leaned forward in his chair. “Oh, really?”

“I don't remember much of it, though. It was a guy who was familiar, saying something about, protecting something.”

Amanda sighed. “I let myself get distracted before I could write it down. It sounded noble and probably would have been great fodder for my book.”

Todd nodded, seemingly disappointed. Then it was as if he realized something.

“So you have been using your dreams as 'book fodder'?”
Amanda nodded.

“Well, that's a shame,” Todd said, “Perhaps you might dream of it again?” He asked that last question as if he knew the answer.

“Um, yeah,” Amanda said a bit perplexed. “It's odd. I sometimes will dream the same dream again with more detail. It's why it's taking so long to finish. I have to go back and rewrite some sections.”

“You know what?” Todd said as he put his hand on hers. “You take your time. I look forward to when you are done writing it.”
Post a Comment