Friday, December 9, 2016

Protein

“Well?” Todd asked. He and Amanda had been having breakfast together in her apartment. "How is that book coming?"

“Well,” Amanda said slowly, “One day, I can't write fast enough to keep up with my thoughts, and other days, I'll sit there in front of my laptop with no ideas. The last few days have been 'other days.'” Amanda sighed. “It's not as easy as it would seem.”

Todd nodded again. “Yeah, well, the publisher is breathing down my neck now. I did quite the job selling your book if I do say so myself.”

“I could self-publish,” Amanda said thoughtfully.

“Which is why I've gone into inventing,” Todd said. “I thought I would convince you later to self-publish. You keep the majority of the proceeds and,” Todd paused for dramatic effect, “I probably would be fired.”

Amanda nodded as she finished the last drop of her shake. Then she started to focus on the bar that Todd had given her.

“So are you going to tell me what you are working on?” Amanda asked as she held up the bar between two fingers in front of her eyes.

“No, not yet,” Todd responded, “I will when I'm ready.” Then he pointed to the bar that Amanda was holding. “Try it already! You'll like it."

Amanda grabbed the bar and took a bite. It had almost a dense texture and a nutty flavor. It was sweet, but not too sweet. Amanda thought she had this particular protein bar before.
“So your friend made this?” Amanda asked finally.

“Yeah, what do you think?”

“It's quite good, but I think I've had this before.”

Todd, at the moment, stopped fidgeting and leaned forward. “Really? When?”

Amanda thought for a moment. “Not sure,” She said finally. “It certainly seems familiar, but I've had plenty of protein bars before I settled on this shake.”

Todd leaned back into his chair, seemingly disappointed.
Amanda ate only a few bites and wrapped the rest up. “It's a shame I already had my shake,” She said with a smile, “Otherwise, I would finish it.”

Todd pushed the bag of bars towards her. "Here, have these." He saw that Amanda was about to protest and said, "No, it's okay. The person who makes them owes me a huge favor and a lot of money. It's kind of a deal we worked out."

Amanda slowly dragged the bag towards herself without breaking eye contact.

Todd winked, and Amanda chuckled. She was glad that Todd decided to move in down the hall.
Post a Comment