Saturday, February 18, 2017

Going Back

Amanda closed her laptop after a long session on a forum site. Obviously, the meteorite was a coincidence, but it did get her thinking. Perhaps it is time to go back to Vermont. She did remember a rock flying by her head. It may be what caused her concussion. If she could remember that, then perhaps she'll remember more the next time.

She decided to check to see if she could find Todd. She wanted him to go with her this time. She grabbed her phone. If she couldn't find Todd, she'll have to text him. He treats his texts like someone would treat email. He doesn't respond to his texts until he gets to his apartment.  Then he goes through them in the order in which they came.

"It's just more efficient when I have a million things to do during the day," Todd told her once.

She checked the time.  It was early enough that Todd was probably still in his apartment unless he wanted to get an early start.

She opened the door to go out into the hallway, and there was Todd with his fist in the air.

"Well!" Amanda said, thinking that this was an odd coincidence. "I was just about to look for you!"

"Yeah, well," Todd said as he held up a tablet, "It's actually business related. I came here to let you know that the electricians will be here this afternoon to replace the fluorescent lights with LEDs. Your apartment is 5th on the list. If they don't get to it today, they will get to it tomorrow early."

Amanda nodded. Todd had made a lot of improvements to the building. It didn't look like the run-down apartment complex that she moved into anymore.

"Now that I'm here," Todd said after he poked at his screen, "What can I do for you?"

"Well, you seem busy," Amanda was getting cold feet. Perhaps she could wait to tell him later.

Todd just waited. Amanda sighed nervously.

"I want to go back to Vermont."

"Really?" Todd said, leaning up against the door frame. "Are you sure? After what happened?"

"I know there's something there that might help with the memories." Amanda took another deep breath. "I remember a rock flying at my head when I was there with Trisha. Before my migraine started."

Todd stood up straight. "You remembered that and told no one?"

"Well, my mind was occupied at the moment, with the unconsciousness and all. After we got home and there was a period when I couldn't talk to you and Trisha was busy." Amanda stopped when she saw the disapproving look on Todd's face.

"No," Todd said emphatically. "It's too soon. It could cause another catastrophe. It's not likely you'll be bothered again, but your migraines…"

"Have been few and far between since," Amanda said. "As a matter of fact, I don't think I've had one since then. Look, I would like you to come with me, but I will go on my own if I have to. I felt like I was close to a breakthrough. I don't want to give up."

Amanda shuttered. She noticed that the room temperature dropped. Maybe it's a draft coming from the hallway, Amanda thought. She saw that Todd was looking past her for a moment as if to think it over.

Todd leaned back onto the door frame and sighed. "Okay, just don't do anything yet, I may get be able to get us there for cheap. I have a few favors to call in."

Relieved, Amanda smiled and said, "Thank you."
Post a Comment