Thursday, March 2, 2017

Angry

Amanda took a sip of her coffee while she waited for Todd.

"You know," Amanda said as he sat down across from her, "Just a coffee with cream only takes  a minute. You're likely to get it sooner as the cashier will make it while the other guy makes the complicated drinks.

"Yeah, but that," Todd said pointing to Amanda's basic coffee with cream, "I can make at home. My Grande-two-shot-five-pumps-chocolate-whole-milk-extra-whipped-cream-mocha is easier to buy it here than it is to make it at home.

"Yeah, but it's almost $5!" Amanda said.

"Yeah, I know you miser." Todd said teasingly and took a sip of his coffee. "Have you had any migraines recently?

"No, not at all. Which is odd. I was having some serious problems soon after we got home, but then it all stopped." Amanda didn't feel comfortable mentioning the fact that they stopped right after their falling out. She also didn't want to mention the dream she had afterwards.

After a pause she said, "You know, I don't think it will be a problem with me walking here anymore. I don't think I'll get a migraine anytime soon."

"Oh? What about Brian Lane?"

Amanda held her coffee in midair as she was about to take another sip. When the name came up, she immediately remembered the dream.

"I'm not afraid of him," She said slowly as she set her cup down. She was having a difficult time trying to find the right words to convey her thoughts.

"I'm just angry with him," Amanda said finally.

"Well, that's understandable," Todd said, "After all, he did violate your trust in people."

"No," Amanda said slowly, still trying to figure her own mind out. "That's not it. It's like I want to blame him for all of my problems, everything from my migraines to misplacing my phone this morning. It's weird."

"You want to blame him for your migraines?" Todd asked flatly. He sounded tense.

"Well, yeah, sort of." Amanda was surprised at Todd's demeanor, "But that's crazy, though. I've only seen him twice and I haven't had a migraine since." Amanda shifted in her chair and then added, "He certainly didn't have anything to do with my phone falling in between the love seat cushions." Amanda chuckled, trying to lighten things up.

Amanda was relieved to see Todd relax a little. He took another sip of his coffee. She decided to try to change the subject.

"Have you submitted my book yet?" Amanda asked.

Todd did submit it, but hasn't heard back. They talked about how some publishers miss out by rejecting good books that make millions later.

In the back of Amanda's mind, she still couldn't stop thinking of Todd's reaction. It seemed that every time that she mentioned Brian Lane, Todd would get a little hostile, just like she would every time she thought of that dream.
Post a Comment