Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Grilled

"Get ready; we are going to breakfast at the café."

Amanda was taken aback by the tone. Todd stood in the hallway and Amanda, still in her pajamas and her robe held the door open.

"Um, okay?" Amanda said.

She let Todd in, and he sat at the table. She slipped into the bedroom to get dressed.

After a few moments, she came out in her usual: not so casual jeans and a basic v-neck t-shirt.

"Okay, I'm ready to go," Amanda said, and they headed out.

They walked mostly in silence. Todd seemed lost in his thoughts. When they were waiting to cross the street, Amanda finally spoke up.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked.

"There's a lot of stress with my job with the apartment complex. I need to talk to someone, but not about my job," Todd responded. He turned to her and smiled. Enamored by his smile, she wasn't paying attention to the walk signal. He nudged her, and she snapped back to reality. She was a little relieved because she thought she did something and didn't feel like dealing with an angry Todd again.

When they got to the café, it was very busy, so it took a while for a table to be cleared for them.

They finally sat down with their food, "Your book is a little open ended." Todd said.

"Oh yeah, it was intentional," Amanda responded, "I have more planned."

Todd nodded, "Well, the publishers have it now, but I would still work on the second book."

"I am," Amanda trailed off. "But, it seems that I've encountered a writer's block."

"Really?" Todd said, "What, you've stopped dreaming?"

Amanda was a little surprised that Todd wasn't mocking her, but was asking out of concern.

"Not exactly. Most of my recent dreams are much more abstract. Like cities, some transportation system, and outer space. There's no plot to them. No dialogue." She didn't tell him about the vault or Brian Lane being in the dream.

"Transportation system?" Todd ask.

"Yeah," Amanda chuckled. "It looked pretty awesome in my dream. It was in a tube, and I think it was pressurized or it used magnets. I couldn't hear the track, so I know the car was hovering. The last time I tried to see the car the dream changed."

Todd became silent for a moment, most likely lost in thought again. They both finished their meals.

Finally, Todd spoke up, "When you have these dreams, how do you feel?"

Amanda thought for a moment. "I don't remember. They're just dreams, really. Kind of like mind movies, I guess."

Todd stared at her. Amanda started to feel uncomfortable, and Todd apologized, looking away.

"I'm going to talk to my friend," Todd said, "We'll leave for Vermont, if all goes well, by the end of the week."
Post a Comment