Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Eastward!

Todd opened the trunk of the Uber car to take out the luggage. A man, roughly the same size as Todd seemed to appear out of nowhere.

"Oh," Todd said a little surprised, "Hi there!"

"Sorry, I didn't realize I was sneaking up on you." The man said.

They both laughed. Amanda knew she wasn't in on the joke.

"Amanda," Todd said, "This is our pilot, Stanley Winkler."

They shook hands.

"Thanks for flying us," Amanda said, "You have no idea how much this means to me."

Stanley gave Todd a knowing glance. "It's the least I could do. Seriously, I owe Todd a lot." He said as he grabbed some of the bags and put them into the hatch.

Amanda still only had her two bags, but Todd, she noticed, had four large bags. She's seen Todd's apartment a few times. He was pretty efficient. She couldn't understand why he would pack so much for a few days.

They boarded the plane and waited for clearance for takeoff.

"So, how did you two meet?" Amanda asked.

Both of them scoffed a little.

"Well, I had a few roommates who were really into weed," Stanley began. "I tried changing dorms because, at the time, it wasn't even close to being legal. Paperwork was problematic."

Amanda nodded. Understanding bureaucracy was a perk of being a ward of the state for a few years.

"One of my roommates was stupid enough to get caught. He was one of those people who thought nothing was ever his fault and would try to blame someone else.  Never mind that he took out his joint in front of uniformed police officers, he thought that because I didn't smoke as he did, I must be against it."

Amanda scoffed. "Us vs. them."

"I know, right?" Todd responded. At that point, Stanley got the all clear, and he took his plane to the sky.

When they leveled off, Stanley continued, "So when the guy got caught, he assumed that I turned him in. He ratted his roommates out and convinced them that I was the one who did it."

"At the time, I was doing a project with Todd and a few others. I had no clue what was going on. At that moment, my roommates were destroying the science buildings and tried to blame me for it. Unfortunately, the Dean didn't believe me when I told him that I was with Todd. After all, the weed was in my room.

I'm not exactly sure what happened next. I was too busy trying to convince my parents that I'm not on pot. Fortunately, they were forgiving. Forgiving and rich. If my parents didn't have the money, I bet I would have slept in a jail cell that night.

Todd, in the meantime, I think convinced the two other roommates that I wasn't the one who ratted them out, and it was in fact, the first roommate. They felt guilty enough to turn themselves in and explain everything. If it weren't for Todd, I think things would have turned out differently for me."

Amanda thought she heard Todd say, "Nice." They both looked at her for a moment. Amanda smiled and looked out the window.

They had left late, so the sun was setting.

Todd came to Stanley's rescue, and now he's coming to mine, she thought.
Post a Comment